Event Code of Conduct
NLC is committed to creating a safe environment that is inclusive and free from discrimination, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, transgender status, age, disability, veteran or marital status, or any other protected categories under applicable law. All participants must agree to and abide by the policies outlined in this code of conduct. This includes registered attendees, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors, staff, and vendors.
We ask that you:
- Be considerate and respectful in your speech and actions
- Refrain from behavior and speech that could be perceived as demeaning, discriminatory or harassing
- Be mindful of your surroundings and your fellow participants
Unacceptable behaviors include:
- Offensive or unwanted behavior or language related to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, age, disability, veteran or marital status, or any other protected categories under applicable law.
- Intimidation or bullying.
- Photography or video taken in a harassing manner.
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwelcome or uninvited attention or contact.
- Actual or implied threat of physical harm.
- Physical assault, including unwelcome physical contact.
- Real or implied threat of professional, reputational, or financial damage or harm.
- Any other illegal activity not already covered above.
- Failure to follow any of the rules or regulations of the event or instructions of NLC staff.
- Recording of sessions (including audio, video, and photography) without permission.
If you feel you are being subjected to, or notice that someone else is being subjected to, behavior that violates this code of conduct, contact a member of the NLC Staff at HR@NLC.ORG as soon as possible. All reports will be kept confidential.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant at the Congressional City Conference will not be tolerated. This applies to all attendees, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors, contractors, volunteer leaders, vendors, venue staff and anyone with decision-making authority. If you are asked to stop behaving in an unacceptable manner, you are expected to comply immediately. Repeated or serious violations of this policy will result in immediate removal from the conference without refund. Egregious violations will result in more severe consequences, such as the involvement of local authorities. All participants and speakers have the right to a safe and enjoyable experience at the Congressional City Conference. Please contact NLC staff if you have any questions or concerns.